Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Food

Typically my mother is the one who does the grocery shopping in the family. I am usually the one that goes with her because when she goes she gets too much for her to carry on her own. the foods that we eat require many different ingredients so we must always have everything at the house even if we dont plan on useing it at the time. When we first come into the grocery store we always go straight to the vegatables/ fruit section because thats whats always in front of us as soon as we walk in. My mother will get 6 out of lets say 10 of the vegtables present. Everyone in my family enjoys eating fruits on a daily basis so we tend to run out alot. Vegatables are a nessesity in the soups that my mom makes. She will take several different vegatbles and combine them together to produce a final flavor. I would say mostly all of the foods that I eat at home are healthy..but they aren't really made healthy. Polish food consists of large heavy filling meals. Usually there is always soup before the actual dinner. So when your done eating everything your pretty full and don't really want to eat anything after that. The meal itself is usually a certain type of meat, whether its chicken, beef, pork, etc. Then with that there's ALWAYS pototoes..usually mashed or baked with either cabbage or a side salad or sautyed vegatables. So your getting alot of protein and vitamins...but in a not so healthy way because they calories add up. It's not really just how my family eats its how all polish people eat. All mothers were raised to pretty much cook the same meals so then after time when the daughters get old enough the mothers or grandmothers teach them to cook and the recipes are just passed on through generations. I've been taught to eat all kinds of foods. I didn't really experiment eating other foods until I was about 13 years old. There was always the take out chinese or pizza...but as to going out to dinner to get real spanish food or ethnic food..it was never really an option. My parents fed me everything when I was little thats why i think I have gotten used to the foods and I don't really fuss about not liking something because I have developed to liking many things as I got older.

No comments:

Post a Comment