Friday, May 15, 2009

Respose to Pollan

I agree with Pollan's argument about our food culture. We are a counntry made of many different cultures and you can see this through the different variety of foods present. Many people don't even know what to eat anymore because they are being told what is good or bad for them. We seem to care so much about appearances, and always trying to follow and abide by this on going idea of perfection and what one has to do to become it. People are so concerend with what others will think of them that they listen to people's advice to tell them how, what, and when they should eat, such people as nutritionists. My family hasn't really paid attention to eating healthy at all. It's not a concern to people in Poland (and those who grew up there) Polish people tend to choose taste over healthiness. All the meals are pretty heavy and as long as they taste good that's all there is to talk about. These days my mom has been trying to lose weight for a while now because for some reason everyone in my family is on a diet now so she feels like she had to go on one as well to fit in. But I have noticed she doesn't really change her style of eating or what she eats. She still eats the traditonal Polish meals..maybe smaller portions of them but still the same food. It's hard to give up since it's what she had grown up eating her whole life. I would say it's pretty hard changing eating patterns.
I don't think experts are always right about what they're opinion of what's healthy and what's not is. I feel like everyone is different, everyone's bodies are different they're metabolizms are different etc. I think people themselves know whats good for them and whats not, it's just up to them whether they want to eat it or not. Not everyone thinks about how it will effect they're bodies and some peope think about it too much. I think people who are athletic can eat whatever they feel will satisfy them. They need the engery to be able to move. I know that at lunch I would prefer eating a larger meal one that will fill me up because in the afternoon I'll need that food to keep me going through a 90 min soccer game.

No comments:

Post a Comment